Integrators working on remote equipment often need to connect to that equipment without being on site. This can be a very difficult process. To simplify the process, we developed several tools which facilitate remote access to equipment .
This guide is a step-by-step walk through to set up such a connection on an RSLinx gateway. While we will focus on this particular application. The lessons learned can be easily applied to other systems like total flow or modbus connections.
**Caution is advised! Proxy connections are powerful. They can be extremely helpful – but if you have any questions about why it is used, please reach out to an OnPing technical respresentative!**
First, set up your Tailscale account. Then, you need to enable the session in OnPing and on your computer.
Install LAS Proxy
LAS Proxy needs to be installed on the Lumberjack.
- Set the IP Address
- Set both ‘target’ and ‘listening’ ports to match
Once LAS Proxy is setup, the Lumberjack is pingable. You can even check for ‘open ports’ from your computer.
After completing the LAS Proxy, you may configure the RSLinx device in OnPing
Navigate to ‘Configure Drivers’
- Find the ‘Communications’ tab -Located in the selectable tabs at the top of the application
- Choose ‘Configure Drivers’
From ‘Configure Drivers’:
- Select “Remote Devices via Linx Gateway”
- Then, “Add New”
- Create a dinstinctive name for the new Driver
This gateway will be used to hook up to multiple PLC’s so don’t name it after a PLC. Instead, name it after the connection type like :LJ746 Tailscale or something.
You will be prompted to input an IP address. This is the Tailscale IP!
Use the new Tailscale Driver
- Select the Tailscale driver. It should be newly added to the list of available remote devices.
To confirm the connection is active:
- Navigate to DDE/OPC from the tabs at the top of the application (as done for Communications, previously)
- In the drop down menu, locate the new connection (this is where a good name helps!)
- Click on the connection to reveal a dropdown menu with more detail
If you followed these steps, you should now have an active connection with an RSLinx Device through Tailscale. Adjust the IP in las proxy to see new devices as needed. We recommend caution when using this feature – Proxy connections are powerful tools. Consult with your OnPing representative if you have any questions about this feature.